Monday, March 23, 2009

A New Playground

Our friend mentioned there was a nice playground in a neighboring complex, so after work last week, kids hopped on their bikes and we hit the brick sidewalks (makes for an interestingly bumpy ride). Alex rode along in the Baby Bjorn carrier, facing the action. On their "big bikes," I struggle to keep up with them, so we were probably quite a sight... 2 big-eyed kids on "fancy" bikes with a Mom & baby running along behind. It gets crazy at intersections. Don't ever believe a green pedestrian light... always be on the defensive, or you'll get hit by a car or 4.


I feel a bit bad with the kids' nice bikes. Practically all bikes here are old and rusty with a carrying basket. You'll hear of expats bringing their bike from home or buying a nice one here, and it will get stolen. They go buy a normal plain jane bike, and no troubles with theft.

We got to the complex, but couldn't see the playground. So, Jacquelyn went up to the guard and asked "Where is the playground?" (in Chinese). He chucked and pointed us the right way. I laughed because my 4 year old can get us around better than I... I would have been acting out charades: swinging, teeter tottering... People usually figure out what I mean, but I can image how amusing I look in the meantime.





Future gear engineers?
Besides the fact that the kids' hands were literally black after the 20 minutes we played, it was great!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Jacquelyn, keep working on that language barrier. That looks like a nice playground...glad you found it!